Guia de Negócios e Turismo de Santa Bárbara
 
HomeHome E-MailE-Mail      

HISTORY OF SANTA BÁRBARA D'OESTE

       


Capela de Santa Bárbara

In the beginning of the 19th century, around 1810 a path connecting Santo Antônio de Piracicaba to Villa São Carlos de Campinas was opened in a place that was still uninhabited, known as "Toledos Region".

The region was covered with a dense growth of trees and a large supply of water. The soil was exceptional for cultivation and the region started to be sought by farmers.

Mrs. Margarida da Graça Martins from Santos, a widow of sergeant Francisco de Paula Martins, was one of those who around 1817 acquired a plot of uncultivated land, bordering on the north the Piracicaba river and on the northeast direction the Quilombo river. She came with her children, relatives and slaves to start a farm and a sugar mill and that was the start of a village.

Mrs. Margarida donated land to Cúria Paulistana for the construction of a chapel in honor of Saint Barbara, which was built in 1818, year that marked the foundation of Santa Bárbara.


Casa Alves
 Praça Central de Santa Bárbara


Usina Cillos (acima)
  

Praça Central nos anos 30


Largo da Matriz (1909)
   

Praça nos anos 40 após a reforma

As time went by an urban center was created around the chapel and started a population of farm workers in the sugar industry.

The population increased at the rate the donated land was being divided into farms. The number of plantations, sugar mills and pastures were being multiplied as deforestation opened space for cultivation and animal raising.
The arrival of immigrants, considerably increased the number of inhabitants who brought forth a great impulse to the region social and economic development.

In 1877, Major João Frederico Redher acquired from Barão de Tatui through Prudente de Moraes, the São Pedro farm and started a large scale sugar cane plantation. In 1883, the town's largest sugar mill was installed and the alcohol distillery was inaugurated in 1889. This development process terminated in 1902 and the São Pedro farm was selected for the installation of the sugar mill that was inaugurated on July 25, 1914 after the incorporation of the Campanhia Ferroviária e Agrícola de Santa Bárbara (Santa Barbara Railroad and Agriculture Company).


Família Pyles
(imigrantes americanos, 1915)

Other smaller sugar mills changed into sugar and alcohol producers, such as Furlan, Cillos and Galvão remaining in activity only the Furlan mill.

Another great impulse to the city's economic activities, was provided by the arrival of European immigrants, particularly Italians who were in larger number and arrived at the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th centuries.


Estação Ferroviária

As time went by, a number of machine shops were installed in the city devoted to the manufacture of plow and parts, horse drawn carts, agricultural implements in general. This was the origin of agricultural implement factories such as Fortunato Lyra, Francisco Mattedi, José João Sans, Humberto Materazzo and Américo Emílio Romi.

In 1917, the Paulista Railroad Company inaugurated in the city the branch line of the Nova Odessa/Piracicaba railroad which made easier the flow of production and exports of products from Santa Bárbara factories, as well as the imports of goods and raw materials for the local companies.


Linha de montagem dos carros Romi-Isetta, nas indústrias Romi (1956 à 1961)

Over the years, the Santa Bárbara industrial park increased substantially, mainly due to the installation of textile factories and the development of manufacturers of agricultural machinery and metalworking lathes.
In the 50s, the first Brazilian car, the Romi-Isetta was built in Santa Bárbara d'Oeste.

In the 70s, our city received a great number of immigrants from other Brazilian cities who settled on the east side. The industrial development accelerated the urban growth to the extent that in this section of the city occurred conurbation, that is, sections joined together to form an area of high population with streets and avenues that separate the towns of Santa Bárbara d'Oeste and Americana.

As the century comes to a close, the city has gone through a phase of progress in its different activities. The installation of new stores, a shopping center, supermarket network, fast-food chain, etc., have increased the variety of service rendering companies and the new industrial enterprises is a guarantee that the city is in the right and firm path to its growth and development.

Operários da Cia. de Fiação e Tecelagem Santa Bárbara

|Why?|History|Photo Gallery|Santa Bárbara Localization|Streets and Maps|Education and security|Highways|Leisure and entertain|Representative Entities|Hymn, flag and heraldy|City hall|Mayor's words|Utility Telephone|Health, Habitation and Urbanization|Touristc Places|Cultural Schedule|Economical Information|Curiosities|Transport and Resources|Communication vehicles|ACISB|Word of the President|Development|